I love yard sales

We had a little yard sale this weekend. Elijah and I ran the biz on Friday, and Britt and Elijah ran it on Saturday. We didn't make a million or anything, but we were able to get rid of some stuff that was just taking up space. I actually bought a set of place mats (pier one, no less) at a yard sale a while back for a quarter each. They never made it in the house. I think they were in the garage for a year. I sold them at my yard sale. I bought a piece of garland at a yard sale last year because it was really pretty and a huge bargain. The people had a floral business and this was a 70 dollar piece of garland that I bought for $5. I never found a thing to do with it.. so it was sold. Funny how much of what I got rid of were originally purchased at someone elses sale. Elijah sold lemonade both days and made around $10. He has been saving and saving. He got a coin bank with a digital counter on it a while back. It knows how much money you put in there and keeps track of your balance. Elijah has been saving change for quite some time so he could buy Guitar Hero On Tour for his DS when it came out.. It was $49. Elijah saved $55 just from putting change in there that he found or that Nonna and Papa gave him. Ofcourse, some of the change he "found" was from Britt emptying his pockets at night, or from him looking in my purse for something else and then asking if he could keep the change he found in there.. But.. he managed to save it for something he really wanted. I think that's a great lesson for a kid and he will appreciate that game much more than any that we have just bought for him.
He is learning to ride his bike without training wheels. It's really a great thing to see the look on his face when he is riding without any help. I am getting the biggest kick out of watching Britt teach him too. Stuff like that makes me fall in love with my husband all over again. I watched a video last night of the two of them playing basketball when Elijah was three. It was wonderful.
Hannah is volunteering at a camp for spina bifida kids this week. She was scared to death, but ready for the challenge. I am so proud of her. I know she will be fabulous.
Time to get my day started, I suppose. My house is a mess. Elijah was supposed to go to Vacation Bible school this week - Hannah and I were supposed to help out too. With him having clinic, Hannah being at camp Aldersgate, and us being so out of touch with changes going on at church, I just didn't feel comfortable being there this week. I am really trying to not say yes to every single volunteer opportunity that presents itself. It's hard for me - but I commit to all this stuff and it just stresses me out instead of making me happy.
Okay.. enough whining.

3 comments:

Susan June 24, 2008 at 9:30 PM  

Wow -- I am now even more impressed with that little guy. What a financier!!!

CewTwo June 25, 2008 at 4:43 PM  

I thought the picture of Elijah on his website was so cute. There is a time in every boy's life when the training wheels are gone from his bike. It can be life changing. I worry for the Mom that can't keep up with him after that!

The change was a great idea to implement. Yes, gaols can be acheived. He did!

I loved your statement about Britt. You are one cool lady, ma'am!

CewTwo June 25, 2008 at 4:43 PM  

I thought the picture of Elijah on his website was so cute. There is a time in every boy's life when the training wheels are gone from his bike. It can be life changing. I worry for the Mom that can't keep up with him after that!

The change was a great idea to implement. Yes, gaols can be acheived. He did!

I loved your statement about Britt. You are one cool lady, ma'am!

About this blog

I am a 43 year old Mom of 2 awesome kids. I have one child with a serious illness. Caring for him is mostly what I do - with a few other things mixed in here and there. I have been married to the same wonderful man for nearly 15 years now. I am forever on the quest to change my life for the better. I want to be more organized, much healthier, and much thinner. So far, I'm not getting there. This blog is for my ramblings and frustrations while on my neverending quest for improvement.