Riverfest


I had great intentions of getting a few entries in last week, but didn't have time between work, getting stuff ready for camp, kid stuff, doctors appointments, and my daily required lazy time. ha ha! Seriously, I just haven't felt much like writing lately, or reading too much either. It's crazy. I love to read books and generally always have one or two that I am working on, but right now I just don't feel like reading. I think I have so much going on in my head that I know I can't fit much more in there right now.
Riverfest was fantastic this year. I got to hear Huey Lewis sing a couple of songs - and it was fabulous! In all the years we have been doing the festival, we rarely get to hear any of the bands perform. Next year I am going to make it a mission to watch a few songs from at least three artists. This year I heard Huey Lewis and Chaka Khan. very cool. In the years past, Elijah has always hated Riverfest. I think it's because Britt and I are always working, he wants to be there with us, but we send him with Britt's parents. They have been great to bring him out there each year, but he generally gets upset and wants to stay. Last year was even more dificult because we had just found out the week before that his cancer had returned. He was in a great deal of pain and on a LOT of pain medication. This year Elijah felt really good. My BFF John was super uncle and took him down to the kids zone area and he got to make sand art and eat a funnel cake.. He had a blast!! He loved it! One of my other goals for next year is to find a way that we can include Elijah more and let him enjoy more of the festival. I think he doesn't like it because he doesn't get to do much of the cool stuff that we have going on.. So next year, scheduled Elijah time for festival is going to be on the top of the list. I also think he may stay with us some next year too.
It's a lot of hard work to pull off a festival of this magnitude. It's all run by volunteer power and to be the one to help coordinate all the volunteers throughout the weekend is just an amazing opportunity for me. I love seeing the improvements to the downtown area take shape that the festival has contributed to. It's really a great feeling to know that we are doing something to give back to the community that we love so much. Now if we could just do something about our schools......
Elijah is at camp quality this week. It's his first year to go. I am sure he is having a fantastic time, but I must admit that I am a bit lonely without him. Today is an oddity for me. I am home by myself all day. This never happens. I am not sure what to do with myself. I have tons of cleaning to do so I guess I will occupy myself that way. I would like to go get my hair cut.. hmmmmmm Maybe I will just nap.

2 comments:

Susan June 11, 2008 at 5:08 AM  

You'd better watch out -- Elijah might bump you out of a job next year! :)

CewTwo June 12, 2008 at 2:44 PM  

There are some tasks that we look on with great favor. Riverfest seems to be that for you!

Now, for Elijah, Camp Quality...

Now if both could be scheduled for the same time frame...

Ah well... If wishes were kisses, we'd all be rich!

About this blog

I am a 43 year old Mom of 2 awesome kids. I have one child with a serious illness. Caring for him is mostly what I do - with a few other things mixed in here and there. I have been married to the same wonderful man for nearly 15 years now. I am forever on the quest to change my life for the better. I want to be more organized, much healthier, and much thinner. So far, I'm not getting there. This blog is for my ramblings and frustrations while on my neverending quest for improvement.