Snow Days

We've had lovely snow here in Little Rock for the past couple of days. Elijah really enjoyed it. He isn't one of those kids that will get out in the snow and stay out until you force him to come back in. He just goes out in spurts. He will stay outside and play for 10 or 15 minutes and then come in to take a break. Granted, he will want to do this 7 or 8 times, but I think it's better than staying out all day. Britt has had a fire going in the wood stove so the pets have taken up residence on that side of the house and have barely moved. It's pretty funny, actually.
So I know that I mentioned in my last blog entry that we were looking for a new church and I know I said that I probably wouldn't blog about losing my best friend - but the two are a bit related, so I guess I will blog about it. I am not for airing dirty laundry on social media nor am I going to talk badly about anyone on the internet (not anyone that I know, anyway) but I will give the basic outline.
Recently I felt verbally attacked by my (now former) best friends wife. She said some things to me that were really hurtful, but basically expressed what her true feelings were for me - so good on her for being honest, right? She ended the conversation with a threat and then followed up by telling her husband that I said some things that I never said. During the conversation she told me that my life was miserable and that I was mean and venomous. Okay.. So.. Marriage comes first and alliance should always be with your spouse. That's just how I feel. So I think it's best to remove my self from the situation.
Here is the rub.. We had been thinking of possibly finding another church home. We love the church we have been attending but felt as though we really wanted to be more involved and wanted Elijah to be motivated to learn and connect. So far, where we were he hasn't. He loved the people there but had zero interest in getting involved in any of the children's activities - which means it's hard for Britt and I to get involved in any of the adult activities. My friends wife works there so us being on the outs made it a bit easier for us to make the decision to start looking elsewhere. I don't want to be in any uncomfortable situations - especially at church. Avoidance is often how I cope.. I will own that.
so.. we have visited a couple of lovely churches. One Methodist and one not. We enjoyed both of them, but let me say this. Visiting multiple new churches around Christmas is NOT a good way to see what normal services are going to be like. We went to three different churches around Christmas. We heard the same songs at all three and heard the same message at all three. Granted, delivery and environment were all distinctly different but the overall message was the same. You can't really go and change up the story, can you? So.. we will try again. I worked last Sunday and am working again this upcoming. One of the churches we liked has a Monday night service and another we were thinking about has a Saturday night service..
Britt and I really want to make some positive changes this year. I think the way to start with that is to establish a stronger relationship with God. I believe in God and I believe in Jesus Christ - but I want a deeper and stronger relationship with them. I want God to guide and control my life - not me. I'm obviously not doing such a great job controlling it, so it's time for Him to take over.
I am trying to let go of the hard feelings I have had for years. I don't have any hatred in my heart anymore and really just want happiness and peace. Honestly, I want to be able to just completely let all negativity go, put myself in God's hands, and move on with my life. But I'll still be avoiding some people.... for my own sanity. :)

3 comments:

Charles Zook, Kelly Simon and Rufus Von Schmufus January 12, 2011 at 6:00 AM  

Dawn, I enjoy reading your blog. I'm sorry for your (former) friend's wife's crappy behavior but applaud you for trying to rise above it. You're a good person doing the best you can each day. I'm glad you're my friend.
Kelly

Dawn January 12, 2011 at 9:46 PM  

Kelly Simon.. I love you. I hope you know that. I treasure your opinion, your conversation and your friendship more than you can possibly imagine.

Susan February 3, 2011 at 4:53 PM  

I had actually forgotten about this little situation for a while... and now I am reminded, obviously, and now I am understanding it in a different light. As you will recall, I "chose" to "lose" my best friend in 2006 and it was TOUGH. It was like life as I knew it no longer existed... because it did not. Five years later (wow!) I know I made the right choice and say GOOD RIDDANCE!

About this blog

I am a 43 year old Mom of 2 awesome kids. I have one child with a serious illness. Caring for him is mostly what I do - with a few other things mixed in here and there. I have been married to the same wonderful man for nearly 15 years now. I am forever on the quest to change my life for the better. I want to be more organized, much healthier, and much thinner. So far, I'm not getting there. This blog is for my ramblings and frustrations while on my neverending quest for improvement.