Ovaries and Recycling


So much going on lately, as usual. With the Earth Day celebrations being this week, Elijah has been learning much about the environment and little things we can do to do our part. We purchased reusable tote bags at the store and have been using those. He requested that I pack his sandwich in a reusable plastic container instead of using sandwich bags. This evening we went to Target and we bought cloth napkins instead of using paper towels all the time. I almost didn't get the napkins because they were $8.00 for a pack of four. Elijah said "Mom, I want to move to California when I grow up so I can be a Marine Biologist. If the air isn't any good in California, I won't be able to do that. Just buy the napkins". So I did..
I am about to share some personal and private information. Oh well. Our lives have very much been open books for the last 4 years with Elijah, so I might as well share my stuff too. I went to the Dr. on Tuesday. It would appear that I have a mass in/on my right ovary. The doctor said from the ultrasound it looks like it could either be a blood clot or a tumor. Either way, the ovary and my uterus have to go. I am having a partial hysterectomy in May. If possible they are going to leave me with one ovary so I can still produce my own hormones. It's not like I was using the other parts anyway - so I am not so bothered by losing them. Just incredibly bothered by not knowing what it is at this point. The good news is they did do a ca125 - which is a blood test that looks for a tumor marker that is present in ovarian cancer. It came back perfect. This doesn't mean for sure that the mass ins't malignant - it just means that it's probably not advance stage ovarian cancer. I am praying that it's just a blood clot and they will remove it - my pain will go away, my hormones will level out, and all will be right with the world in 6 short weeks of recovery time. The sun will shine brighter, my skin will clear up, my hair will be gorgeous again - and I will stop raging on my poor husband. I forgot - after the hysto, I should lose about 40 pounds without effort, right? I am trying to see the rainbow at the other end of the robotic arm laproscopic surgery. Hannah said she was certain it wasn't cancer. She said God never gives us more than we can handle and she thinks this family has had more than it's fair share of cancer. Amen to that.

2 comments:

Susan April 24, 2009 at 4:31 PM  

Hannah is right!
Good luck.

HerstoryGirl April 27, 2009 at 9:26 PM  

Oh, my gosh! How did I miss this post?! Dawn, I am praying & I agree with Hannah.
Girl, email me & let me know when your surgery is going to be...

About this blog

I am a 43 year old Mom of 2 awesome kids. I have one child with a serious illness. Caring for him is mostly what I do - with a few other things mixed in here and there. I have been married to the same wonderful man for nearly 15 years now. I am forever on the quest to change my life for the better. I want to be more organized, much healthier, and much thinner. So far, I'm not getting there. This blog is for my ramblings and frustrations while on my neverending quest for improvement.