Giving it Up... and it's not even Lent!

I was up late last night reading the latest slam on Britney's VMA performance and I had a thought: "what does reading celebrity gossip really bring to my life?" The answer was absolutely NOTHING! I saw Britney.. I know it was bad... I saw that she wasn't built like she was when she was 20, but LAWD! The girl has had two kids! I am not making excuses for the lackluster performance.. she looked loaded and like she really just couldn't wait to be done with the whole thing so she could go do something else. What I am saying is, the media is slamming her for being "out of shape".... THAT'S out of shape??? I would give my eye teeth and probably part of a limb to be built like that!!!! Now...I might not put on a bikini in front of millions - but still.. It got me to wondering why I have this fascination with celebrity gossip and why I should care if Brad and Angelina were kissing in public or if Jennifer Anniston has a new boyfriend. Truth is - other than to carry on a conversation with my sister like we actually know these people, it's worthless. . so I give it up. I have changed my homepage to be prayforelijah.com instead of msn (it should be pray for elijah anyway). I am not going to go to cnn.com and scroll down to the entertainment section immediately. And I am not going to succumb to the teasings of comcast about watching celeb news on The Fan. . I am simply giving it all up. (my husband is reading this at work going "yeah, right") Susan and I have discussed many times the importance of surrounding ones self with things and people of value and integrity. Celebrity Gossip does not fall in to that category.. so it's gone. :)
Now.. I can't believe that I have devoted a whole blog to this subject - but it truly has been sort of an obsession with me.. First I give up All My Children and now celeb gossip\?!?! What next?
Prayers for today: healing for Eli, for Eli to want to go to school, to make it to Hannah's volleyball game, happiness and health for my family

3 comments:

Susan September 11, 2007 at 6:21 PM  

Girlfriend, I am also 100% guilty! I made a beeline for the couch the minute her performance came on. Call it gluttony, I guess. But hey - I knew it would be ALL the USA would be talking about for a long time, sadly.

Michelle September 11, 2007 at 9:36 PM  

I'm guilty too .... I clicked on her performance first chance I got. And I click on Yahoo's OMG pages to see new pics of people I dont even know...but I'm insanely interested in looking at.

We should start posting photos of ourselves on our blog ... make a big hooplah about ourselves and see if celebrities rush to see the lives and pictures of "real" women!

I'm sure I can get a great shot of me loading the dishwasher, applying diaper rash cream to Case, and all the while wearing 2 sizes to big yoga pants and a ratty v-neck t-shirt with a plethora of stains on it. Now, "that's hot."

:)

CewTwo September 13, 2007 at 7:38 AM  

Sometimes, as we navigate the path thruogh life, we need to examine our interests. Always remember that what appeals to one person may not appeal to another.

An innocent pursuit of celebrities is much like reading a novel. It is not real and it may not apply directly to our lives, but it does provide an escape. Sometimes, there is great value in that alone.

About this blog

I am a 43 year old Mom of 2 awesome kids. I have one child with a serious illness. Caring for him is mostly what I do - with a few other things mixed in here and there. I have been married to the same wonderful man for nearly 15 years now. I am forever on the quest to change my life for the better. I want to be more organized, much healthier, and much thinner. So far, I'm not getting there. This blog is for my ramblings and frustrations while on my neverending quest for improvement.