Reading

I took the advice of my friend Summer and ordered the Mom's Devotional Bible. I got it about a week ago. I read the first devotional and started reading the book of Genesis. With my nightly reading, I would read a bit more of Genesis. Within a few days, I finished it. (not the Bible - Genesis) Then I read the book of Exodus. I am ashamed to admit that this is probably the most I have read of the Bible. I read a few passages and stories here and there, but never actually sat down and read. Not sure how much I will read in the Old Testament. I may start on the New Testament. I have read tons of stuff on different religions, but sadly have not studied my own at great length. I am just feeling like I need to have more knowledge behind my Faith, if that makes sense.
They had casual for a cause at school on Friday. The kids have to pay a dollar to dress out of uniform and wear what they want on the last Friday of the month. The dollar goes for a "cause". Here is what infuriates me. The cause is not what I would consider a cause. It's not for local charity or anything like that. It's for things that the school genuinely needs that are not provided by tax dollars. Art supplies, the music department, etc. Things the schools should easily have access too without the kids (parents) having to pay for it. If they wanted to do it to plant trees or buy a new piece of wanted but not needed equipment, I could better see it. It's sad. With all the stuff in the news about the anniversary of the Little Rock Nine at Central High, they have been talking about how there is still a division of race in the LR school system and how it's now 64% African American because most of the white students now go to private schools. They tried to say it was about race, but I really don't think it is. I think it's because of lack of faith and opportunity within the public school system. They are overcrowded and underfunded and the kids are the ones who suffer for it. If finances weren't an issue, we would have put the kids in private school in a heart beat. We have been lucky to have great teachers for the past two years or I don't know what we would have done. Oh well. It wont be an issue for us much longer. I am trying to get Elijah enrolled in a virtual academy so he will be homeschooled for the rest of this year.
Enough of my rambling. I know it's Sunday and is supposed to be a day of rest, but we have tons of little home improvement projects that need to be done today, so I must get busy.
PEACE

3 comments:

Susan September 30, 2007 at 4:34 PM  

I really admire you, Dawn. You tackle everything with great wisdom.

CewTwo October 1, 2007 at 1:55 PM  

I am amazed, as well. As busy as you are, you find time for your own interests. Sometimes it is just easier to zone out in front of a TV watching a show with no redeeming social virtues.
When an individual strive to improve themselves, they improve everything about them; their family, their friends, their neighborhood, their city, the very society that they live in. Congratulatiojns on being such an individual.

BTW - The old testament does deal a great deal with ancient law and the begets. It is often much more interesting (and personally applicable) to read the new testament first!

Dawn October 1, 2007 at 2:56 PM  

That's what I was thinking as far as moving to the New Testament.. More applicable "life lessons" to be found there..

About this blog

I am a 43 year old Mom of 2 awesome kids. I have one child with a serious illness. Caring for him is mostly what I do - with a few other things mixed in here and there. I have been married to the same wonderful man for nearly 15 years now. I am forever on the quest to change my life for the better. I want to be more organized, much healthier, and much thinner. So far, I'm not getting there. This blog is for my ramblings and frustrations while on my neverending quest for improvement.