Just Call Me Peggy Ann McKay

One of my favorite poems by Shel Silverstein is called Sick.

Sick
by Shel Silverstein

"I cannot go to school today,"
Said little Peggy Ann McKay.
"I have the measles and the mumps,
A gash, a rash and purple bumps.
My mouth is wet, my throat is dry,
I'm going blind in my right eye.
My tonsils are as big as rocks,
I've counted sixteen chicken pox
And there's one more--that's seventeen,
And don't you think my face looks green?
My leg is cut--my eyes are blue--
It might be instamatic flu.
I cough and sneeze and gasp and choke,
I'm sure that my left leg is broke--
My hip hurts when I move my chin,
My belly button's caving in,
My back is wrenched, my ankle's sprained,
My 'pendix pains each time it rains.
My nose is cold, my toes are numb.
I have a sliver in my thumb.
My neck is stiff, my voice is weak,
I hardly whisper when I speak.
My tongue is filling up my mouth,
I think my hair is falling out.
My elbow's bent, my spine ain't straight,
My temperature is one-o-eight.
My brain is shrunk, I cannot hear,
There is a hole inside my ear.
I have a hangnail, and my heart is--what?
What's that? What's that you say?
You say today is. . .Saturday?
G'bye, I'm going out to play!"


I feel like Little Peggy Ann McKay only I don't feel like going out to play.

I started out with a sore throat. Then came the cough. Nice. Keep in mind I am still wearing the boot. The cough and sore throat got worse so I went to my new doctor who told me it was most likely something viral and I was going to have to just let it run its course. I go to work on Sunday and one of the doctors in the ER just writes me a prescription and tells me I have pink eye. Okay, now I feel like QuasiMoto. I have the cough, the sore throat, the boot, and now the nasty pink eye. My husband won't come near me for fear he would catch just ONE of my ills. Jeesh. I feel like climbing to the top of the bell tower and screaming "SANCTUARY!!"

Today I woke up feeling a bit better. My eye looks lots better and the cough seems to be weakening. I am resting, cleaning house a bit, and hanging out with Elijah. It's a rainy day here.. a good day for doing nothing much at all.

1 comments:

Susan April 8, 2008 at 6:02 PM  

Yeesh -- it rains and pours!

About this blog

I am a 43 year old Mom of 2 awesome kids. I have one child with a serious illness. Caring for him is mostly what I do - with a few other things mixed in here and there. I have been married to the same wonderful man for nearly 15 years now. I am forever on the quest to change my life for the better. I want to be more organized, much healthier, and much thinner. So far, I'm not getting there. This blog is for my ramblings and frustrations while on my neverending quest for improvement.