Hospital Stay

We are in the hospital with Elijah. I am sitting on my little couch bed wearing my polka dot pajama pants and my purple "Team Katie" shirt. MaryJo is his nurse tonight. It's really good to have a familiar face taking care of Elijah. One that knows him and knows us. Being here this time is a bit strange. We have all of our normal "at the hospital" gear with us. We've been doing this for a while and though we are out of practice, still have our system down. We are the "old timers" around here now but I wonder if some of these people think we are newly diagnosed because we have a bald kiddo and haven't been seen around here much.
The names of the patients are all unfamiliar. I don't know the faces in the hall or the names on the patient dashboard. As the evening winds down I find myself missing my "cancer croanies". Some of them I am so glad they don't have to stay at the hospital anymore. It means they are done with treatment and are living life to the fullest. Some of them I still wish they still had to come up here because it would mean their kids were still with us.
Elijah isn't talking. His mouth hurts too badly. He has a notepad and is writing me notes. One of them said "I might fall asleep". Another said "No writing on my notepad!". I can always count on him making me laugh. The nurses are all saying they can tell he doesn't feel well because he isn't talking to any of them. He feels okay. His mouth just hurts and he is mad because he wants to eat. Ugh.
We are settled. Watching Annie and prepared to hang out for a couple of days. This might get worse before it gets better.

0 comments:

About this blog

I am a 43 year old Mom of 2 awesome kids. I have one child with a serious illness. Caring for him is mostly what I do - with a few other things mixed in here and there. I have been married to the same wonderful man for nearly 15 years now. I am forever on the quest to change my life for the better. I want to be more organized, much healthier, and much thinner. So far, I'm not getting there. This blog is for my ramblings and frustrations while on my neverending quest for improvement.