Can I use my superpowers in this room?

We have always said that Elijah is a superhero. Frankly, because he is! Yesterday he had this little stretchy spiky rubber hat thing. He was making up all kinds of stuff about it.. I sat and listened for ten minutes.. "If I put this on my leg, it gives me the power of super speed. If I put it on my arm, it gives me the power of invisibility. If I put it on my head, it gives me the power of supreme knowledge". He did all of this and demonstrated each one. He has such a great sense of humor. I just laughed and laughed. Britt and I were trying to figure something out with the table for the classroom, so I asked Elijah to put on his supreme knowledge hat and help us out. He laughed at me as though he thought I really believed the hat would give him the power of supreme knowledge. Silly Mama.
The week Elijah was diagnosed, he had to have a bone marrow aspirate. They sedated him prior, thank God. When he started to wake up he was very drunk and extremely amusing. He kept Lora (his nurse) in stitches the whole time. Making up songs about his pulse ox light, telling Britt and I that we had three noses, etc. The best one though - and the one that was just a brief glimpse in to what Elijah would be capable of over the course of the next three years.. He looked at Lora and said "I have a question. Is it okay if I use my superpowers in this room?" She gave him permission and he's been using those superpowers ever since.

2 comments:

Susan September 5, 2008 at 5:43 PM  

Elijah is the superhero of my lifetime.

Michelle September 5, 2008 at 10:22 PM  

Powerful stuff in this post today, my friend.

I know Elijah has super powers ... he's a super kid.

much love,
M

About this blog

I am a 43 year old Mom of 2 awesome kids. I have one child with a serious illness. Caring for him is mostly what I do - with a few other things mixed in here and there. I have been married to the same wonderful man for nearly 15 years now. I am forever on the quest to change my life for the better. I want to be more organized, much healthier, and much thinner. So far, I'm not getting there. This blog is for my ramblings and frustrations while on my neverending quest for improvement.