Today

Today is my 9th Wedding Anniversary. Today would have also been my mom's 54th Birthday. 9 years ago Britt and I got married in the court house on our lunch break and then we both went back to work for the rest of the day. I called my mom to tell her what we were doing and let her know that we would be coming up to share her birthday with her when we got off work. When we got there, she had a lovely cake and champagne for us to celebrate our marriage. Our cake topper was "true mom" form. She had a bottle of elmer's glue and it had a label on it that she had printed "HOPE THIS ONE STICKS". Well, Mom. So far it has. It has even though we have been through more trials than most married folks I know. Perhaps that's why it stuck. Britt probably knows I would have fallen apart long ago had it not been for him. Less than two months after we were married and shared our happy day with my mom, she died. She had been sick for a while, but was doing well so her death was very unexpected. I was at work when it happened. Britt took off work, came to get me, and held my hand while I cried all the way to the hospital. I thought for sure that was going to be the most horrific thing we would ever have to face as a married couple. Not true - although it is in the top two on my list. Not too long after my mom died, we had to fight in court for Cody. This was so trying for Britt. Very emotional. Then we got pregnant... (well, I did but he had a little to do with it). When we found out we were going to have a baby, we decided to move to a bigger house. Not too long after we moved, our house was broken in to. They took so many things.. Our camera with pictures of Britt's 30th Birthday party, his watch, computer, tv, vcr. We felt so invaded. It took a long time for us to get over that trauma. We moved to Fayetteville when Elijah was 3 so Britt could finish school. Finish school he did - and we moved back to Little Rock to get started on what we thought was going to be life with drama put behind us. Then Elijah got sick. Our precious baby was diagnosed with every parents nightmare. Cancer. How is this possible? I would get so angry and think to myself "don't you think we have been through enough?". Worst part is, Elijah is the one who has to suffer the most with this. I think Britt and I would gladly take it away from him and suffer it ourselves if we could. He is such a wonderful Father and Husband. I am truly Blessed to be married to him and I KNOW I would have crumbled years ago had it not been for him, his love and his support. As to why he puts up with me, I have yet to figure that one out.. ha! Maybe it's because I laugh at his jokes - ha! Either way, I am so glad to be married to this man. I pray for many many more years of complaining about his snoring and having him make me laugh every day.

2 comments:

Unknown February 4, 2008 at 11:46 AM  

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to two of the best people I know! I love you guys and I wish you every happiness!!
You truly deserve it. =)
Love,
Summer

Susan February 5, 2008 at 1:06 PM  

OK, I am drying my tears - right here at work. :)

About this blog

I am a 43 year old Mom of 2 awesome kids. I have one child with a serious illness. Caring for him is mostly what I do - with a few other things mixed in here and there. I have been married to the same wonderful man for nearly 15 years now. I am forever on the quest to change my life for the better. I want to be more organized, much healthier, and much thinner. So far, I'm not getting there. This blog is for my ramblings and frustrations while on my neverending quest for improvement.