Rainy Day

It's raining that nice, slow, steady rain right now. I love that kind of rain, but it doesn't help to motivate me much on organizational projects. It really makes me want to crawl in bed with a book. I guess I shouldn't blame that on the rain. I always prefer to crawl in to bed with a book! ha ha. I will resist. Perhaps later I will read for a bit, but not before I accomplish a few things.
Elijah had clinic today. This might sound crazy, but I love it up there. I feel so comfortable in clinic and at the hospital. Don't get me wrong - I get sick of it when we have to be there every day and would prefer that Elijah NEVER have to set foot in a hospital - but today I saw a bunch of friends and was reminded of what a great support system we have there. One of our little friends is getting ready to check in for her last chemo treatment.. That is so exciting! I almost wanted to cry with joy for her mom. Finishing chemo is such a huge milestone, but one that is followed by unexpected fear as well. It's very bitter sweet. Your kid is taking medicine that making them very sick but it is warding off the disease that is trying to kill him or her - then you stop taking the medicine. The kid feels better - but is that giving the disease chance to come back? It's terribly frightening. Having cancer isn't something like having appendicitis. You don't have it, have the appendix taken out, and then you are done. Cancer stays with you forever - even if the disease is gone. It changes you. Elijah will be in treatment for years now. After we finish MIBG if his disease is gone or remains stable, we will move on to another form of long term treatment. Elijah will be treated as though his disease is chronic. In a way, I think that's almost going to be a bit easier to cope with on a daily basis as opposed to watching and waiting for it to come back. It sounds crazy, I know..
I guess I better get busy with my chores. Lots to do!!!

1 comments:

Susan November 12, 2008 at 5:50 PM  

Hey lady. We're headed to a cabin the the Smokies tomorrow, and I think it is supposed to rain the entire time. Hopefully it will just add to the pleasantness!

About this blog

I am a 43 year old Mom of 2 awesome kids. I have one child with a serious illness. Caring for him is mostly what I do - with a few other things mixed in here and there. I have been married to the same wonderful man for nearly 15 years now. I am forever on the quest to change my life for the better. I want to be more organized, much healthier, and much thinner. So far, I'm not getting there. This blog is for my ramblings and frustrations while on my neverending quest for improvement.