Me? School?

My friend Summer brought up an interesting subject in her message regarding my last posting. Have I ever thought about going to nursing school? The answer to that question is a very loud, booming, vibrant, YES. I have thought about it quite a bit. Back when I was quite a bit younger, I applied for and was accepted to Baptist School of Nursing. I chickened out. My grandmother had me convinced that I wasn't cut out for nursing and that I wouldn't stick with it, I was scared that I couldn't pass the science classes, and my (at that time) husband wasn't too excited about me going to school in Little Rock. So.. I was talked out of by all three of us. I opted to stay close to home and take classes I was fairly comfortable with at UCA. I never finished.
I went back to college for the first time last year. I took two classes because I was scared to death to do anything more than that. I just didn't know if I had what it took to go to school anymore. After a bit, I learned that I loved being in school. I really enjoyed learning and being back in that environment. I took Comp II (a writing class) and Psychology. I made A's in both classes and was ready to take two more classes the following semester. My plan was this.. take two classes at a time until you have all the prerequisites taken care of.. Then apply to nursing school.. Then Elijah relapsed.
I went to work in the NICU for a little bit just before his transplant. While I was working there, I came to the conclusion that I didn't want to go to nursing school anymore. I was very uncomfortable with the fragility of the babies in there. It made me think "do I think I could emotionally handle having someone elses life in my hands like that?" My answer was that I didn't think I could.
Well, we went in for Elijah's transplant and I became, once again, more comfortable with what was going on. My desire to go to nursing school once again rearing its head. My husband is now thinking, more than ever, that I am so wishy washy and wont ever be able to make up my mind about what I want to do.
Now that I am working in the ER, I want to go back to school more than ever.. and am convinced that nursing is what I want to do.
Now I just have to figure out how to make it happen.

3 comments:

Susan March 11, 2008 at 5:54 AM  

I think you would be the best nurse EVER. Seriously. Go for it.

Susan March 11, 2008 at 5:54 AM  

In fact, I don't know why I don't consult you with all of my medical stuff NOW.

auntie andi March 22, 2008 at 3:58 PM  

i know this is like FOREVER ago and i'm just now posting (just catchin up!) but do i EVER know how you feel!!!!! that has been me for the past 10 years and now i still feel the same...WHAT TO DO???? you should go to baptist (don't ask ANY of the nurses in the ED, they HATE it!) but i went there and loved it...just don't want to be a nurse! me, i'm still trying to figure it all out! ; ) GOOD LUCK!!!

About this blog

I am a 43 year old Mom of 2 awesome kids. I have one child with a serious illness. Caring for him is mostly what I do - with a few other things mixed in here and there. I have been married to the same wonderful man for nearly 15 years now. I am forever on the quest to change my life for the better. I want to be more organized, much healthier, and much thinner. So far, I'm not getting there. This blog is for my ramblings and frustrations while on my neverending quest for improvement.